Still Half-Blind

I had a niggly feeling that my already poor eyesight is getting worse and that deciding to go to the optometrists over the weekend made me nervous.  But as my eyeglass frame is already battered and very unpresentable, I've decided I should have my specs updated.

When the optometrist asked me to read the letters on the wall, they might as well have looked like this --



I can't read a thing!!  Going for eye check-ups never fail to distress me. 

The doctor tells me that my nearsightedness had gone down but my astigmatism had gone up a notch.  I didn't know how to react -- should I be happy or disappointed?  It seems like things are the same. Still, I'm thankful the readings aren't as bad as I thought they would be.

Sometimes, I feel like I want to see a lot of the world, read a lot of books and watch tons of films because I'm trying to cram everything in before I go completely blind.  Right now, that is my worst fear.  I'm not afraid that I may end up being a childless spinster or destitute, but losing my sight completely is what I feel would be the most tragic thing that could ever happen to me.

I may just be paranoid, but at least this fear is driving me to make the most out of my life.
.
.
.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

13 Comments:

Safe in the Steep Cliffs said...

I feel like my eyesight is getting worse by the minute, so I feel your pain :[ Not to mention, I'm not even all that happy with the glasses I have right now. But I think you should be happy that you got it checked out and now it's all taken care of.

-Robots in Trouble

August 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM
MariaKristela said...

We have the same sentiment. I just had my eyes checked last month and I was so surprised to know that my grade is up to 375! At first I could not believe it. I was prescribed a new pair of eyeglasses so that my eyes can adjust.

August 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Unknown said...

I have poor eye sight. I've been wearing glasses for many years now. I got used to it. My grade is 200/200. It's been like that for a couple of years now. I hope it will not get worse.

We have the same fear. I don't want to lose my eye sight completely.

I am new here.

janemayen.blogspot.com

August 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM
elmie said...

abby/robots: yeah, there are just some things you hafta get over with -- even if you don't particularly like them! :-/

maria kristela: i'd actually prefer your 375 compared to my prescription glasses (i ain't tellin what mine is! hahaha)

mayen: 200/200 is nothin, babe. you don't need to worry about that, just avoid straining your eyes too much. ;)

August 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

mangiawithmario said...

Hi Emz! Stopped to read your latest. What a great post. Everyone worries about their eyes. And it's amazing to think of all the people driving whole being half blind. I suppose as our eyesight diminishes we still have people like Stevie Wonder to inspire us. Except I cant sing or play piano!

August 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM
Anonymous said...

LOL No pun intended! Love it! You just gain a new follower. =)

August 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Anonymous said...

My right is 1.00 and the left's 1.25. It's been 2 years since I started wearing my glasses and up to now nothing has improved... at least not just yet especially I'm all over my monitor. Pero, kaya pa yan ng Lutein supplements and LASIK.

August 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM
TJ said...

I just upgraded my lenses to 250 from 175, both eyes. The doc told me to go for this new polycarbonate thing, because it was all in one. 2.8k lens palang, nakakaiyak. Buti nalang 50% off yung frame na binili ko.

Just go for the glasses. At least here in the Philippines there's no discrimination in wearing a pair, di tulad sa tate.

August 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM
Angelique said...

Nice blog. You write really well. Hope your eyes get better:)

Tay
x

August 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM
anney said...

Ako nag start na lumabo ang mata ko. Napansin ko lang recently pag malapit ang binabasa ko e medyo malabo. Kailangn ko na din magpa check up.

August 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM
unikorna said...

I wanted to congratulate you for your lovely and successful blog and ask you kindly to share how did you manage to use such beautiful fonts on your blog. I would really appreciate if you could tell me how can new fonts be added to the blog (I also use Blogger. Kisses and good luck.

September 22, 2011 at 5:47 AM
Noah said...

Same here.. Astigmatism and near sightedness.. just upgraded my glasses during the first semester of classes... what I am afraid of is completely not seeing people properly without the aid of glasses. boo. I feel your pain.

September 30, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Henry said...

Hello Emz! pwede makipag-exchange links sayo?

October 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...