Thank you for our freedom



I was going to post about something completely shallow, but I guess I can't ignore the news and had just decided to say my piece today while emotions are high.





Despite all the criticism she had received since she became president in 1986, Former President Cory Aquino's passing away is being mourned all over the country. She was a symbol of strength, determination, a sense of righteousness and democracy.

I wasn't too happy with her switching sides often (maybe advanced age makes the mind fickle), but deep down I know her intentions are good.

I may have been too young to remember, but I don't appreciate it when people say that the Marcos regime was better than when Aquino was in power. How is Martial Law any better than democracy? It's so stupid. Do they mean they would rather have the government lie to them, tell them everything is all well, but people are being killed and imprisoned for no reason? That doesn't make sense at all.

It's really a sad day. I feel worse than when Michael Jackson died.




Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

7 Comments:

ikogsakanding said...

Good Bye Tita Cory.. and Thank you..

August 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Unknown said...

i didn't really grow up in the philippines so i dont know much about her, but i've heard of how iconic she is. RIP. <3

August 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM
Vlad said...

I'm not a big fan of Cory but I respect her huge faith, patriotism and simplicity.

I also post about her death in my blog

August 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM
elmie said...

ikog:
ditto.

kym:
yup, not just your ordinary house wife. hehehe

vlad:
well, i'm not a fan too, really. but in someone's death, you can't help but remember the good things more than the bad things, i suppose. and she'd done a world of good -- she stood for hope, when all the odds were against the whole country.

August 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM

C. JoyBell C. said...

Of course you feel worse than when Michael Jackson died! Cory Aquino dedicated her life-to her last breath-to the democracy of the Filipino nation! To every Filipino, everywhere. She lived a life dedicated to the people. She is a hero. A legacy. The only mother of democracy the Philippines has ever had.

August 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM
makoy said...

"I wasn't too happy with her switching sides often (maybe advanced age makes the mind fickle)"

wahahaha

August 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM
elmie said...

charity:
true!

makoy:
ang bad mo! hahaha!

August 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...